P. Kemp Fain, Jr., Award
Named for P. Kemp Fain, Jr., this award is the pinnacle of recognition in the financial planning profession, honoring one exceptional individual who has made outstanding contributions to the financial planning profession. Fain was a pioneer in the financial planning profession, blazing trails in professional associations, the CFP® certification, and the profession at large. In keeping with Fain's example, nominees for the award are individuals who have made significant contributions to the financial planning profession in the areas of service to society, academia, government and professional activities. The recipient is recognized at FPA's Annual Conference.
In keeping with Fain's example, nominees for the award are professionals also exemplify the FPA's Core Values of integrity, competence, relationships, and stewardship.
2019 Recipient of the P. Kemp Fain Jr., Award
Tom Potts, Ph.D., CFP®
FPA national staff or national board members who have served in the past 5 years are not eligible for nomination; additionally, individuals may not self-nominate.
Nomination information for 2020 coming early next year
- 2018: Harold Evensky, CFP®
- 2017: Dave Yeske, CFP®
- 2016: Ray Ferrara, CFP®
- 2015: Roy Diliberto, CFP®
- 2014: Lynn Hopewell, CFP® (posthumous award)
- 2013 : Elissa Buie , CFP®
- 2012 : David King, CFP® (posthumous award)
- 2011: Lewis J. Walker, CFP®
- 2010: S. Timothy Kochis, CFP®
- 2009: Eileen Sharkey, CFP®
- 2008: Don Pitti (posthumous award)
- 2007: E. Denby Brandon, Jr., CFP®, CLU, ChFC
- 2006: Bill E. Carter, CFP®, CLU, ChFC
- 2005: Colin B. Coombs, CFP®, CLU
- 2004: Alexandra Armstrong, CFP®
- 2003: Richard B. Wagner, JD, CFP®
- 2002: William L. Anthes, PhD
- 2000 & 2001: No award given
- 1999: Charles G. Hughes, Jr., CFP®
- 1998: Henry I. Montgomery, CFP®
- 1997: Loren E. Dunton (posthumous award)
- 1996: John T. Blankinship, Jr., CFP®
- 1994 & 1995: No award given
- 1993: P. Kemp Fain, Jr., CFP®
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. ("CFP Board"), a 501(c)(3) organization that is independent of the Financial Planning Association, grants the CFP® certification to CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals in the United States. CFP Board owns the trademarks CFP® and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™.