FPA NEXGEN GATHERING 2020
June 21-24, 2020 | Las Vegas, NV
Scholarship Instructions & Guidelines
Win a scholarship to FPA NexGen Gathering! FPA encourages you to submit an application to attend this event on us. The conference scholarship will cover your registration fee, onsite lodging, conference meals (after hour drinks and/or food are not included), and reasonable travel expenses to and from the conference site.
The FPA NexGen Scholarship Committee has developed the following guidelines in establishing its merit-based scholarship program to award recipients to attend the FPA NexGen Gathering.
- Applicants must be a first-time attendee to the event
and ONE of the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must have a financial need
- Applicants must be from an underrepresented population in the financial planning profession
- gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and/or persons with disabilities1
- Respond to four short essay questions:
- Why have you chosen the financial planning profession as your vocation? (500-1,000 words)
- What does Dick Wagner's article "To Think ... Like a CFP" (Journal of Financial Planning, January 1990) mean for your career and to the financial planning profession today?" (500-1,000 words)
- What has prepared you to be successful in the financial planning profession? (500-1,000 words)
- Describe your background and how it relates to this scholarship. (Review eligibility criteria) Is there anything else we should know about you? (500-1,000 words)
- "Dick Wagner was often quoted as saying "Money is the most powerful and pervasive secular force on the planet." How does this impact the role of a financial planner? (500 - 1,000 words)
- Submit a letter of recommendation
- Write about their experience after attending the event so we may further understand what worked well and how to improve our processes for Gathering scholarship recipients and attendees in the future.
- Decisions to award a scholarship shall be made at the full discretion of the FPA NexGen Scholarship Committee.
- All applicants are responsible for reading, understanding and abiding by all of the scholarship program guidelines.
Travel expense incurred up to the $500 cap (including airfare, rental car/shuttle service to the conference, and meals) will be reimbursed to the scholarship winner within four (4) weeks of their written/visual conference summary submission. Expense receipts are required for reimbursement.
Application Deadline Submission Information Application Details
At least one letter of recommendation from a financial services professional or professor on original letterhead or email format clearly listing author’s name, position, company and contact phone information (please scan these documents).
Submissions postmarked after the deadline date will not be considered and no extensions will be granted.
The FPA NexGen Scholarship Committee will not consider partially completed application packages.
To support the NexGen Community's ability to award scholarships, we are accepting donations via this form. Please send completed forms to
We define disability as
described under the Americans with Disabilities Act: “A physical or mental
impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such
an individual. A record of such an impairment or being regarded as having such