FPA Residency Program 2020
Save the Dates
June 12 - 17 | October 23 - 28
Hyatt Regency Aurora-Denver Conference Center
Registration Opening Soon
The Difference Between Becoming and Being a Financial Planner
FPA Residency is a unique training program for new or soon-to-be financial planners looking to deepen their knowledge and understanding of how to “do” financial planning, and what it means to “be” a financial planner for their clients.
Residents (Participants) will:
- Work closely with master CFP® practitioners who closely mentor each participant and offer immediate and individualized feedback, as well as their own insights and expertise.
- Practice developing an effective client-centered financial life plan and learn the tools needed to communicate complex issues in a way that client feels heard and understood.
- Share their passion for financial planning with like-minded peers and, in the process, develop friendships and professional relationships quickly that carry on throughout their careers.
- Earn 28 CFP continuing education credits or three months of experience toward CFP Board's three-year requirement.
"At its core, this is a people business and FPA Residency really helped me with the people skills
that I didn't get in the other programs. As a career-changer, I was blown away by the mentors.
Their willingness to share their experience and knowledge with people new to the
profession was completely unexpected. It's a great program and
a tremendous opportunity to develop the interpersonal skills
that you're not getting in your technical training."
- Ken P., CFP®, FPA Residency resident
- Anyone who has completed the required CFP Board-registered program and is eligible to sit for the CFP Certification Examination.
- Anyone who is a CFP professional and has held the designation for three years or less.
- Anyone who is a CFP professional who holds the designation and is either:
- Not practicing financial planning for a period of time;
- Not doing client facing financial planning;
- Or wants more training doing the comprehensive, client-centered approach to financial planning.
"The mentors really made this experience worthwhile.
It's impressive to see the service-minded people in this profession."
- Steven, FPA Residency resident
Convince Your Manager
The opportunities for personal and professional development benefit the firms/companies represented by program participants. This is one of the primary reasons many firms send team members to FPA Residency each year. We’ve included a Word document for use in helping to justify your program attendance – just personalize, add the outstanding information, and send away.
If you have questions about whether the program is an ideal for you, please contact Jill Clateman, director of learning. She’ll connect you with one of the program deans or past residents if needed.
“I came here to get myself out of my comfort zone.
My team created a safe place to learn. I got so much out of this experience.”
- Rick, FPA Residency resident
Learn More About the Program
“I signed up over a year ago and was put on the wait list.
I’m so glad for that because this group was incredible!"
- Karina, FP Residency resident